Ms .45's mp3/bureaucratic/gaming blog.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Persepolis - The Movie

OMG I am so excited! One of my favourite comic books, Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, has been made into a movie (in French!), and it looks just as fantastic as the books did. The elegant sharp-edged black and white loses nothing in animation and may actually be improved. For instance, the female hijab-police who pull her up for having exposed hair and (gasp!) a Michael Jackson badge move like cobras. It's very effective.



What's great about it is that it includes Marjane's life as a rock chick - she's into Iron Maiden, if you remember from the comics (her dad sneaks a poster into Iran under his coat). The image of her playing air guitar with a tennis raquet in her room is absolutely priceless. This snippet (below) of Marjane hanging out with cooler, older punk fans is great - I don't speak a word of French and I don't need to to understand this. Cast your mind back to when you thought Foucault was a four-cylinder sedan* and enjoy.





* I was going to buy myself a Foucault, but my dad talked me out of it as the fuel efficiency isn't good...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested in posting this clip of Martin giving filmmaking advice at Cannes - would love to hear him speak in person.

http://www.thenewsroom.com/details/337300/Entertainment?c_id=jlt